The NSW Jewish Board of Deputies was established on 29 July 1945. It is the officially-elected representative roof-body and voice of the Jewish community of New South Wales. It is recognised by the NSW government, its agencies, the media and other ethnic and religious groups as the representative body of the Jewish community. The Board leads, speaks and advocates on behalf of the NSW Jewish community, to which 61 organisations of a cultural, welfare, educational and spiritual nature are affiliated. The board publishes information on current affairs and serves as a central resource on many issues of the Jewish concern and relevance.
It is the elected plenum of 147 Deputies, which meets monthly to consider issues of communal importance. Half of the Deputies are elected every two years by a general franchise and half are appointed by the constituent organisations. The plenum elects an Executive, which conducts the organisation’s administration.
The history of B’nai B’rith in Australia starts with the institution of the first Lodge in Sydney in 1944, followed soon after by the commencement of the Sydney Women’s Chapter. Melbourne instituted its first Lodge and Chapter very shortly after this. Although, at one stage, Lodges Chapters and Units (where men and women hold equal membership) existed in each State, currently they only operate in Sydney and Melbourne, as well as New Zealand. Activities are very much modelled on the original core values and mission statements and include raising money for worthy causes, both Jewish and non-Jewish, active social and cultural activities such as lectures, art exhibitions etc. as well as a very active Anti-Defamation unit which monitors anti-semitic activities both locally and overseas and a welfare arm. The collection also contains photographicand hardcopy items from the B’nai B’rith Museum.
This collection contains a series of records created and maintained in B’nai B’rith Retirement Village. B’nai B’rith Retirement Villages fundamental function is to serve the Jewish seniors community, ensuring access to affordable independent retirement accommodation. Prior to November 2002, it was called the B’nai B’rith Parents’ Homes . B’nai B’rith Retirement Village’s first retirement accommodation, Kadimah Gardens, opened in Wahroonga in the 1960s. The Village expansion was completed in early 2000 with the addition of a new apartment complex. In the 1970’s Princess Gardens, in Princess St, Rose Bay, opened to Jewish residents. In the 80s and 90s Princess Gardens was expanded progressively as need and opportunity arose. The site’s most recent development was completed in 2003. BBRV expanded its role in support of the Jewish community by making independent retirement accommodation available to senior Jewish people with mental and/or physical disabilities.
This collection contains records maintained in AJHS. There is no specific provenance for this series as it is mainly a collation of correspondence over the years from various communal organisations; individuals and defunct organisations. These papers were arranged in boxes as they were collected, hence, there is an absence of continuity and completeness. However, the material in itself is original and will be the only copies and so they are primary sources for research purposes.
Due to the method of collection, the original order of simply keeping things in the order which the person or institution originally kept them and provenance are missing. Certain records may have been kept together for a reason, even if it is not immediately obvious as to what that reason was. Much of the material in this collection are dispersed in many boxes. Correspondence such as letters, postcards and telegrams that would have been sent to a(n) person/institution were not kept together but were dispersed and refiled according to subject.
Contextual information has not been preserved due to the manner of collection. There is no indication of the number of years’ material was collected for a specific person/organisation, as there is an absence of a consignment history.
It is not possible to piece the records together but best effort has been established to index and provide a description of files in a box so that we might be able to cross reference and fill in some gaps in the collection.
The Wolper Jewish Hospital was originally established in 1948 as the NSW Jewish Hospital. In 1961 it amlgamated with the AG Wolper Convalescent Hospital and changed its name to the Wolper Jewish Hospital as a result of a bequest from Mrs Gertie Stone. In 2011 it celebrated its 50th anniversary. Wolper has a number of Board Committees that meet regularly to review policies in their area of expertise and make recommendations to the full Board. Wolper delivers services related to the rehabilitation, medical and palliative care of patients; community programmes such as the Community Genetics program and Wellbeing Program as well as healthcare initiatives etc.
This series contains images from Jewish Communal Appeal (JCA), produced by professional photographers engaged by NSW Jewish Board of Deputies.This series contains images from JCA and is an unassembled collection of photographs between 1970s to 1990’s taken at events, functions of JCA. Though the original intent of the collection was not to record or interpret the social history of JCA, its retention serves this exact intent.